Job Title: Pop-up Retail Store Salesperson
Reports To: Pop-up Retail Store Manager
Location: Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf - Santa Cruz, California
Email your resume and a link to your LinkedIn profile to email@example.com by March 30, 2020 with an overview of your job qualifications and why you're a great candidate for the position!
About the store
The Ventana Pop-up Retail Store is a semi-permanent surf shop on the Santa Cruz Wharf that will be created in a refurbished shipping container. It is part of a broader collaboration with Humble Sea Brewing Company and Santa Cruz Economic Development.
The lease runs from mid-May 2020 to mid-Nov 2020. If the store is successful, the job opportunity will continue either on the wharf or in another location. If it does not meet our goals, the position and the store might close temporarily or permanently. Your execution in this role will be critical to the future of the store and to Ventana’s growth!
Ventana Retail Salespeople deliver an outstanding customer, employee, and community experience consistent with the Ventana brand values of artisanship, responsibility, and adventure, while exceeding revenue and profit goals.
The ideal candidate will be able to work autonomously with little oversight and will have a background in retail sales. We are looking for people who are “learn it alls” rather than a “know it alls.” We look for people with a growth mindset, who surf, understand surf culture, and are passionate about ocean conservation and sustainability.
We need people who can work collaboratively with co-workers, take feedback well, recommend and implement new ideas, take calculated risks, and learn from mistakes.
Keys to Success
- Elicit product and brand “love” from customers.
- "Do the right thing” in all customer-related situations while finding ways to say “yes” and turn difficulty into opportunity in even the most challenging situations.
- Engage directly with customers on social media and in person in a positive, thankful, humble, or apologetic way every day. Provide dissatisfied customers with a reason to sing our praises after resolution.
- Be an outstanding salesperson who can tell the story of every product in a deep and inspiring way.
- Create quality service, drive sales motions, and use storytelling to engage customers. (We'll train you how to story-tell in a retail context.)
- Ensure that the customer always leaves fulfilled by the store experience even if that means losing the sale. Of course, our preference is to ensure that all customers leave with purchases in hand that they will love.
- Be personally available to all customers to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions or concerns.
- Be aware of and help drive revenue goals and other Objectives & Key Results (OKRs).
- We're looking for people who pursue passions that relate to our products and philosophy.
- Develop and support a positive attitude toward Ventana. We want our employees to think of their contribution as something larger than themselves.
- Maintain employee attitude and morale by recognizing outstanding performance in your peers.
- Participate in professional development and recommend training that will help you grow.
- Create an experience that helps to educate our customers on ocean conservation and sustainability issues.
- Assist in organization events and campaigns that address environmental issues.
- Assist in opportunities that are mutually beneficial to Ventana and to local ocean conservation groups in our area.
- Ensure we “walk our talk” living our “responsibility” brand value via recycling, upcycling, reuse, conserving energy, using alternative modes of transportation, and being socially responsible…both in the context of the store and in the community.
- Support the Ventana approach to giving.
Merchandising & Marketing
- Assist the manager in a merchandising plan for each season or as often as is necessary that enhances product presentation, fits with the Ventana aesthetic, and drives up sales and profits while create a relaxing and easy-to-shop experience for customers.
- Follow all company policies and procedures.
- Maintain safe working conditions for employees and customers. Report safety concerns quickly.
- Ensure store security from internal and external theft and know proper apprehension and prosecution procedures. Always focus on employee and customer safety over protecting money and merchandise.
Other Job Functions
- Perform additional duties as mutually agreed upon by you and the manager.
- Participate in bi-weekly staff meetings and provide ideas and feedback to the manager on how to improve the store and business.
- Maintain an open and positive relations with all peers. Treat everyone with the utmost respect.
- Understand customer needs and wants to better inform future product orders…from colors to sizes to styles to new products.
- Ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time as necessary to provide sales floor coverage related to customer service and loss prevention.
- Ability to reach overhead, bend, squat, kneel, and carry product, necessary for customer service, inventory re-stock, and store merchandising.
- Ability to carry boxes, products, and other necessary store related items.
- Ability to perform store maintenance: sweep, vacuum, empty trash, clean.
- Ability to safely lift boxes up to 40 lbs.
- Typical work week is 20-40 hours - available to work minimum of one weekend day and various opening and closing shifts during the week
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Two years’ experience in retail store sales, preferably in the surfing and/or adventure sports industries.
- Strong preference given to candidates who surf and can “talk the talk.”
- Ability to plan and manage events and other weekly programming
- Willingness to respectfully challenge the business owners when you believe improvements or changes of any kind are needed or if you believe they themselves are incorrect or making mistakes in some way
- Ability to accept and act on feedback without resorting to excuses
- Ability to be honest about your skills and willingness to say “no” when you aren’t able to execute on something to a high-quality standard
- Microsoft Office and/or Google Apps proficient
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot an iPad with a Shopify eCommerce/Point-of-Sale solution
- Social media and technology savvy in the context of brand and retail requirements
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail..
- Strong problem-solving skills.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors. Drug and alcohol use on the job is inappropriate and will not be tolerated.
- Competitive hourly pay rate
- Bonus structure based on achieving or surpassing in-store profit and revenue targets
- 30% discount off retail for apparel and supplies
- Special pricing on surfboards
- Friends and Family discount program
Re-applying and EEO
We review and retain all applications/resumes indefinitely. If you have not been contacted by us within 6 months, you may choose to submit a new application via email.
We are proud to designate our organization an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, and we encourage all who meet minimum requirements and conditions to apply regardless of race, color, creed, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, religion, marital status, pregnancy, military status, physical or mental impairment, or medical condition including genetic characteristics and any other protected characteristics.